Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I'm Calling My Lawyer

Typewriter


I've got writers block.

Well not really block, I have topics to write about I guess its more of a 'want to' block.

You see, I write at my day job.  A lot.

Letters, emails, employment commission responses, EEOC position statements, reprimands, action plans, investigation reports, talking points, executive summaries, and on and on.

Don't get me wrong, I like to write.  It just makes writing at night hard.  Much of my day writing is the result of bad things that other people have done.  They don't agree with the outcome of the bad thing they've done - they get fired, demoted, suspended, placed on probation, something - so they complain.  They complain to government agencies.  Government agencies like written responses.

Here's the thing, I don't mind writing these responses.  It often means that a principal has done his/her job.  It means that a teacher has been held accountable for their misconduct or poor performance.

That's your job.  That's why you sit at the big desk and why you get the only private bathroom in the building.

Teachers will often threaten principals who hold their feet to the fire.  They  say, "if you do X I'm going to file a complaint with government agency Y."  or my favorite, "I'm contacting my lawyer."

Big deal.  Let them call.

As long as you've done your job and documented legitimate conduct and performance concerns, you've got nothing to worry about.

We got your back.



Photo credit: (CC) Foodjungle - Flickr (no real name given)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...